Monday, July 23, 2012

Sitar Indian Restaurant

Lazy Sunday afternoons are the perfect time for buffets. My friend and I wanted to gorge ourselves on something creamy and comforting, perfect for an even lazier food coma. We went to Sitar which offers a lunch buffet for only $7.99. 


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

For the price and restaurant atmosphere, which is decorated nicely with Indian influences, there is a good variety of food for the buffet. I normally eat a lot already, but I didn't have breakfast so I was ravenous. I had four full plates of rich curries, rice and naan. I had several pieces of tandoori chicken; some of them were tender and juicy but others were too dry and overcooked. My personal favorite of the five different curries was the vegetarian korma. It was full of flavor and went really well with the rice. However, I wish all of the curries had more spice to them like more authentic Indian cuisine. 

The naan was somewhat carelessly made. Instead of the flatness that is typical of most naan, the ones at Sitar were very thick and tasted more like thick sheets of pita bread rather than naan. Naan and curry combinations are one of my favorite and I was disappointed that the naan wasn't up to their usual standards. 



                     


Indian desserts are known to be sickly sweet. They're usually too sweet for my taste buds, but I enjoyed the rice pudding. It was very sweet but I liked the texture of the rice. The other dessert offered at Sitar is a sticky donut hole-like ball. This is coated and soaked in a thick syrup that only increases the sweetness of the dessert. For me, the ball is too much for me but my friend enjoyed it thoroughly and had five of them. 



              
  

Sitar is a great place to go to for a great amount of food for a cheaper price. The food is relatively tasty and my friend and I left full, happy, and ready for a big food coma to set in.




Sitar Indian Restaurant 

729 20th St S
Birmingham, AL 35233
(205) 323-6500

No comments:

Post a Comment